Howard University students reach resolution with university officials after protesting unlivable housing conditions for more than 30 days World news

Roommates, over a month of protests at Howard University’s Armor J. Blackburn Center, where students have spoken out against unsafe housing conditions, including allegations of mold, rats, cockroaches and other unlivable conditions inside the campus dorms, has been reached. A deal is finally made. The #BlackburnTakeover, the longest protest in the history of Heliopolis University led by #TheLiveMovement, ended after their demands were met and they reached an agreement with university officials.

According to CNN, Frank Trumbull, a spokesperson for the university, issued a statement Monday morning confirming that the school had reached a decision with the students and would provide further comment later today. Howard also confirmed the news via Twitter, noting that the university’s president, Dr. Wayne AI Frederick, would share an expanded message at a later time. The live action broadcast the press conference where founder Aniyah Vines and organizer Ericka English, who is president of Howard Young Social Democrats of America, shared the comments.

Erica thanked the Howard DC community, grassroots organizations, staff, and faculty for putting their arms around the protesters and supporting them. Heliopolis University students have received support from parents, alumni and even notable celebrities such as Reverend Jesse Jackson, whom Erica also thanked for praying for the students.

As mentioned earlier, he came to the campus on the 1st of November to speak with the protesters, and unfortunately was taken to the hospital after falling on campus. According to The Grio, Jesse Jackson helped secure a verbal agreement from the Howard University administration to allow the students to end their protest without facing expulsion.

At the end of the live broadcast, Aniyah advised that The Live Movement was just beginning, and that they plan to help students at other HBCUs with their issues. Now that the takeover is over, she is also reported to have returned to the building to begin cleaning up Blackburn after occupying it for 34 days. Congratulations to all the Howard University students who fought for their rights! We love to see her.

Want updates directly in your inbox? Dial 917-722-8057 or

Source link


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings